This was the first Saturday morning in MONTHS that we did not have any scheduled activities.
No early morning skating. No gymnastics. No ballet. Everyone slept until 9:30.
Everyone except for me. I was up at 6.
I love getting up before the house gets busy. It is such a treat.
And this morning, with nothing to hurry to, I decided to treat my sleeping brood to some yumminess.
Homemade cinnamon rolls from scratch.
I have tried so many different recipes for cinnamon rolls
but this morning, I tried a new recipe and it was so easy, relatively quick (2 hours), and quite the best we've ever had.
RECIPE:
2 cups of warm water
1/2 cup sugar
4 teaspoons dry yeast (or two packages of dry yeast)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup Canola oil (you can use any kind of cooking oil, or shortening if you prefer)
6 to 7 cups of flour
Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Let rest. Add sugar, 2 eggs, salt, oil and 2 cups of the flour. Stir with wooden spoon. Stir in 3 more cups of flour. Pour out onto lightly floured surface and begin kneeding. If the dough is sticky, add more flour 1/4 C at a time until dough is uniform and soft. Let dough rest for 20 minutes. Roll out into large rectangle (approximately 16" by 24"). Spread with softened butter topped with 1/2 C. brown sugar and 4 tsp. cinnamon. Roll into long log and cut into 1 or 2" slices. Place them in a greased baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Drizzle with powdered sugar icing (1 cup sugar to 2 tsp milk, 1/2 tsp vanilla)
ENJOY!
We sat, unhurried around the table and enjoyed the morning together.
Nothing makes this mother's heart happier!
Happy Fourth of July Weekend to you all!

No comments:
Post a Comment
We love your comments. Let us know you stopped by!