
I am all about training hearts and teaching minds....as a mother, as a teacher, as a biblical counselor...as a Christian in pursuit of living a life that glorifies God. That's probably why this title originally appealed to me.
I ordered this book a while back, along with a bunch of other great titles from Timeless Texts....and it got lost in the "get to later" pile.
I am so pleased to have discovered it again (while searching for a different book) and cannot wait to start this as a family. I had forgotten all about it. (That is happening more and more!)
This book is a family devotion based on the shorter catechism. It devotes six days to each question with supporting scripture references.
Catechizing children has fallen away and that is a simple shame. The church, it seems has made doctrinal study unpopular as the culture yearns for more and more entertainment, especially for its children. Not mine. I want my children to be taught the full counsel of God's word and I want each of them to articulate their faith with boldness, confidence and truth. They are the next pillars of truth in the next generation. Careful and systematic instruction is necessary. A thorough and thoughtful foundation must be laid.
I want my children to be able to answer questions like:
What is the gospel?
What is justification?
What is sin?
What is the misery of man's fallen condition?
What is God's providence?
How is Christ a king?
How is Christ a prophet?
How is Christ a priest?
What is effective calling?
We talk about these these important matters of the faith and our church as Paul defines it really is the pillar and support of the truth (1 Tim. 3:15). Pastor Babcock exalts God's word, giving it preeminence in all areas of church life, teaching, preaching and counsel. Without compromise. We are blessed. My kids are blessed to sit under this shepherd!
But, our family has been looking for a devotion that is both challenging and suitable for all our kids (3 to 15) to participate in. This is PERFECT! Ian can get us started this week...and Peter has agreed to lead when Ian is out of town. A great experience for him to have as well!
I know it's going to be great so I am recommending it before we even begin!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment
We love your comments. Let us know you stopped by!