David and I spent the day baking gingerbread cookies yesterday in preparation for Claire's gingerbread birthday party this weekend. David thought it all great fun.
Smelling all the spices, mixing in the molasses, playing with the dough. . .
Using the rolling pin. . .
And cutting out the cookies. . .
Watching the cookies bake in the oven. . .
And of course, eating the cookies was yummmmmmy, too!
He told a sweet story about how he and his "China grandma" aka foster mom would make these kinds of cookies. I love how he weaves his past into his present even if the actual story is seemingly fictitious. It is such an important way for him to fill in the gaps and continue his adjustment.
While we waited for all the batches to bake, we read my favorite gingerbread books. . .
Jan Brett's Gingerbread Baby
and Jan Bett's Gingerbread Friends
Baking for the birthday party got me super excited for baking for Christmas. I'm making my list of favorites and checking it twice. . .hope David is up for more cookie baking!!!




No comments:
Post a Comment
We love your comments. Let us know you stopped by!