My dear friend Sara, kindred spirit in all things domestic, recommended this book to me.
The day it arrived, I toted it to a skating lesson, a doctor's appointment and took it out to the pool while I watched the kids swim.
It was pretty much devoured, digested, assimilated in the course of one day.
Many things about our home run quite smoothly.
But there are areas that I knew needed improvement.
This book is full of inspiration, practical ideas and sound biblical teaching
about being a woman, a wife, a mother and a homemaker.

And I do admit - I am a sucker for systems and procedures. Ask my kids!
Kim Brenneman has a whole chapter on systems.
"Systems are essential for the right functioning of any endeavor.
A good system is one in which the work is done completely and efficiently...
so work not only to establish effective systems in your home,
but to diligently implement them. When you do this,
you and your family will be blessed." {page47, 48}
Finding myself back at home full time after teaching for three years as well as moving to a new city and a new home seemed like the perfect time to seek fresh inspiration and improvement.
Most helpful, aside from the chapter on being a wise woman {based on Proverbs 31}, or the chapter on giving your children a work ethic, or the chapter on how to teach a new chore and include your children in all aspects of running a home,
is Kim's division of household labor.
"One of the forgotten homemaking practices that is being rediscovered is that of devoting particular housekeeping tasks to a specific day of the week. Our foremothers understood the wisdom and efficiency of this approach....and I must say, living by this system works well."
{page 129}
BRILLIANT!
So, added to my househould binder is a new schedule (filed under home care):
Monday is Kitchen Day
Tuesday is Laundry Day
Wednesday is Office Day
Thursday is Cleaning Day
Friday is Town Day
Her book devotes a whole chapter to each, describing the tasks and activities dedicated to each day.....much more than the obvious chores in each category, she suggests maintenance ativities in these areas which keep a home tidy, efficient and organized. Ben Franklin once said, "an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure." How true!!!
Her chapters on the importance of morning, evening and meal time routines
are excellent as well.
My desire is to serve my family by maintaining a home
that is a respite and refuge from the world.
A home that is focused on the people abiding here.
A home that supports my husband in his work outside the home.
A home that serves my family as we seek to serve Him and glorify Him in all things!

I pray I am the wife in Proverbs 31 that looks well to the way of her household!
Working willingly and joyfully to bless those in my midst!
No comments:
Post a Comment
We love your comments. Let us know you stopped by!